The meteoric rise of Netflix can equally be applied but not exclusively to its original shows. Throughout 2017 alone, the streaming service was spending more than $6 billion on quality content. Many binges a lot on Smart TV, but even though they have an HBO Go subscription, they keep coming back to Netflix again. People mostly come back because the Netflix app is so much simpler to use. Putting aside the content list, Netflix has some of the best user interfaces on premium content streaming websites currently available. From the concise synopsis to the video preview, everything is so easy that it makes up for a care-free binging trip. Regardless of the platform, you’re using, Netflix will remember what you’ve been watching, and encourage you to restart your binging from where you left.
Even more, it has a section on Continue Watching that features a selection with all the shows/movies you’ve started watching. Even though that makes things easier, it establishes a potential problem as well. What if you start a new TV show but soon realize you don’t like it? You might also share the account with someone else and you don’t want them to know what you are doing. You’ll be pleased to know there’s a way on How to remove continue watching items on Netflix for all of these situations.
The process of taking items from the Continue Watching list is a bit tedious though, I’ll give you that. The good news is, we have prepared a comprehensive guide to walk you through the entire process. But keep in mind that not all platforms can delete the Continue Watching list. You won’t be able to do that on Netflix’s mobile, smart TV and even some console versions. The best option is to use a computer when making the steps below.
How to Remove Continue Watching Items on Netflix?
- Sign in to your account and choose your Netflix profile.
- Use the top right corner of the screen to find your profile name.
- Scroll to My Profile all the way down and tap on View Activity
- You should see a list of all the movies you’ve watched and TV shows in chronological order.
- Click the X button at this point to delete a certain show from all of your devices.
- You need to click on Remove Series to avoid a TV show appearing in the Continue Watching list.
- It may take up to 24 hours for the show you removed to cease appearing on all platforms.
- Now, you can go back to your home screen.
- The Continue Watching list should not include the show that you just removed.
Note: Removing an item from your viewing history on all devices you use to access Netflix will remove it from your history. That may have an impact on Netflix recommendations. Netflix further notes that removing an item from the viewing activity can take up to 24 hours.
Deleting an item from the viewing history usually takes less than 24 hours. When that happens, the item will also be removed from the listing to continue watching.
Using profiles on Netflix makes sense, especially if you’re using the service alone but with others too. Profiles help you to further distinguish the viewing history and consequently also feedback and suggestions. For example, couples may want to create three profiles, one for each individual user and one jointly. You create new profiles by clicking on the User icon at the top right corner and selecting from the menu to manage profiles. To add a new one, click on Add Profile, and name it for easy distinction. The only thing left, when accessing Netflix, is to make sure you load the right profile.
Deleting Items on Desktop Browser
- At the top right of the screen, select the down arrow next to your profile pic, and select Account.
- Further, select the Activity view.
- The steps to mask your Netflix viewing history are the same as the mobile version: find the movie or tv show you want to erase from your watchlist and pick the circle with the row through it.
- If you want to delete a whole sequence, click Mask series
- You can also scroll to the bottom of your Netflix history after choosing the circle.
- You choose Hide All.
Note: You can have a single account with up to five profiles. Learn how to create a new profile for Netflix, if you need help. You can delete a Netflix profile if you want to remove a profile from your account entirely to make room for another or to clear the watch history instantly. Another way to handle Netflix’s “continue to watch” list is to keep your viewing habits differentiate within different profiles. For example, if you want to rewatch a show or your roommate wants to watch a film you’ve already watched, you can create a separate profile to make a fresh “continue watching” list.