US President Donald Trump says the US is not going to pay the bill for Prince Harry and the security of Meghan in the wake of news that the couple has moved from Canada to the US.
The couple state that they had no plans to seek the US publicly funded defense. Prince Harry said that they officially moved to Meghan’s home state of California following the heightened outbreak of coronavirus. Both will officially step down as senior royals on March 31, and will no longer perform duties on request of the Queen, but after one year these arrangements will be reviewed.
After a six-week Christmas break on Vancouver Island, the couple and their son Archie spent most of this year living on the west coast of Canada. The Canadian government announced last month that it would stop providing the family with security assistance “in accordance with their changing status.” Now it seems Mr Trump has followed suit.
Last week, the family shifted again to the Los Angeles area. This is where Meghan was born and where now lives her mother, Doria Ragland, US media reports say. The announcement to the president comes as the novel coronavirus begins its relentless march through the United States. There are currently 135,499 confirmed cases-more reports reported than any other country-and 2,381 deaths have been reported.
Cases of coronavirus continue to spike in California, with 5,565 cases and 121 deaths reported. Governor Gavin Newsom signed a shelter-in-place order last week. It said Californians to stay at home except for delivering or receiving vital services. This is among the toughest orders nationwide. The Prince of Wales, Prince Harry’s father, tested coronavirus positively earlier this week, Buckingham Palace said, but “remains safe.”
Canada To Stop Giving Security to Prince Harry and Meghan