SARS Virus Kills One More in China

A second person has died from a mysterious SARS Virus in China, which has reached thousands and has emerged in two other Asian countries, officials said.

Local authorities said Wednesday a 69-year-old man died in Wuhan, the central Chinese city suspected to be the epicenter of a coronavirus outbreak from the same family as the deadly SARS Virus pathogen. The outbreak caused concern in 2002-2003 due to the similarity to SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed 349 people in mainland China and another 299 people in Hong Kong.

In China, at least 41 people were diagnosed with pneumonia related to the new virus, leading Hong Kong authorities to step up prevention steps, including temperature checks for inbound travelers. The Wuhan health commission said twelve people were recovered from hospital and discharged while five others were in serious condition.

The man who died on December 31 had become ill, and his condition worsened on January 4, with damage to pulmonary tuberculosis and multiple organ functions, the commission said. Two other reports in Thailand and Japan— with health officials in both countries claiming that prior to their hospitalizations the patients visit Wuhan.

Officials in Wuhan said the outbreak was based in a seafood market. It close on January 1. There has so far been no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus. It is behind the Wuhan outbreak, but the health commission has confirmed that the possibility “can not be excluded.”

WHO Talks About Human-Human Transmission of SARS Virus

A doctor from the World Health Organization (WHO) said it wouldn’t be surprising if there were “some limited human-to-human transmission. This is particularly among families with close contact with each other.”

The WHO said Thursday that “about the new coronavirus much remains to be understood.”

It was not understood enough about it to “make definitive conclusions about how it is being distribute,” a statement adds. The Wuhan health commission said one diagnosed man worked at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. His partner, who also had the virus, registered “no exposure history” at the plant.

The woman in Thailand did not visit the seafood market, WHO said on Tuesday. Earlier this week she was officially in stable condition. The Japanese patient, release from hospital, also not in market. Japanese officials said that the man was in Wuhan. That time he is in contact with a person with virus.

A Level 1 “Alert” warning is out by the US Centers. This is for Disease Control and Prevention for travelers to Wuhan. He state that they should follow standard precautions and avoid contact with animals and sick people.



Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Back to top button