A massive sinkhole in China swallowed a bus and pedestrians. Following which it caused a fire, killed six people, and left 10 more missing, said Tuesday state media.
Footage showed people running from the falling road at a bus stop, as the bus sank halfway into the ground — jutting into the air. As it spread, many people disappeared into the sinkhole including what appeared to be a boy.
The incident also triggered an explosion inside the hole outside of a hospital, video showed. Search and rescue work was underway and there was an investigation into the cause of the accident, the state-run CCTV broadcaster said.
The incident occurred at approximately 5:30 pm (0930 GMT) on Monday in Xining, Qinghai province’s capital, CCTV said, adding 16 people had been taken to hospital. Sinkholes are not common in China, where construction works and the rapid pace of development in the country are often blamed for them.
— W. B. Yeats (@WBYeats1865) January 13, 2020
In 2016 at least three people in central Henan province fell into a huge sinkhole. It swallowed up a stretch of road and passers-by. An initial investigation found that the collapse was possibly due to submerged water pipes. This is breaking up due to the rain underneath the lane. In 2013, the same incident killed five people when a sinkhole that was 10 meters (33 feet) deep opened. This is right at the entrance of a Shenzhen industrial estate.
Click Here for More WORLD NEWS
Click Here for INTERNATIONAL UPDATES