China suspects that a sudden outbreak of pneumonia that infected 59 people is caused by a new strain of the same family of SARS virus that killed hundreds of people more than a decade ago. Lead scientist Xu Jianguo notified the official Xinhua news agency that experts had “preliminarily identified” a new type of coronavirus behind the outbreak, first confirmed in Wuhan, a central Chinese city with a population of over 11 million, on December 31.
Initially, virus sparked fears of a resurgence of highly contagious Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome, and prompted Hong Kong authorities — badly hit by SARS in 2002-2003 — to take precautions, including stepping up train and aircraft disinfection and passenger checks.
Since then, China has ruled out a new SARS epidemic, killing 349 people in mainland China and 299 in Hong Kong.
“A total of 15 positive results of the new type of corona virus had been detected” in the lab, through tests on infected blood samples and throat swabs, Xu said.
The World Health Organization (WHO) confirmes in a statement that a new coronavirus detects in advance.
“Further investigations is also need to determine the source, modes of transmission, extent of infection and countermeasures implement,” said Gauden Galea, the WHO Representative to China.
59 Patients Suffer from the Virus
Seven of the 59 patients severely ill on Sunday, Wuhan’s health commission states. All collected quarantine therapy. According to Xinhua, on Wednesday eight patients recover and discharge from the hospital.
The commission said the outbreak broke out. This is between the 12th and 29th of December. Some of the patients working for disinfection on a city seafood market. So far, there has been no obvious evidence of human-to-human transmission. State broadcaster CCTV’s January 1 footage showed an official market. This is to notice announcing that it is not open. This is in view of the “latest pneumonia situation in our region.” This is without specifying a date for reopening.
The outbreak falls just a few weeks before the busiest annual travel time in China. This is when millions of people take Lunar New Year buses, trains and planes. A Chinese Transport Ministry official states at a briefing that “desinfection, surveillance and prevention” arrangements is there. Many areas with large numbers of passengers, including stations and cargo hubs are under surveillance.
Civil aviation and national railway authorities states that no reports come from affected patients. Those who are taking flights or trains and that they were monitoring the situation closely. Wan Xiangdong, China’s Civil Aviation Administration’s chief flight officer, states all aircraft have emergency medical kits.
Also, WHO delegate Galea states about the virus. So, it states “International airports have identified people with pneumonia symptoms and travel history to Wuhan.”
So, no travel restrictions is on China by the organization.
CLICK HERE FOR HEALTH NEWS
CLICK HERE FOR HEALTH TIPS